Microsoft: Startup zone June 2, 2006Posted by rajAT in apple, bill gates, entrepreneur, entrepreneurship, google, microsoft, startup, technology.
Microsoft has marked the categories in which they will like to partnership with the startups .
- Business Intelligence
- Line of Business Applications
They have quite an array of companies working for them. I can only recognize – Newsgator, Akimbo, Sling Media, MobiTV.
Don Dodge heads the Collaboration portfolio. The Collaboration portfolio covers applications that work with Outlook, Office, Sharepoint, Messenger, Live Communications Server, and Exchange. Applications in this space include email add-on tools, document management, content management, file sharing, and other collaboration tools.
He gives reasons for why Microsoft is interested in working with startups -
- Partner products that compliment existing Microsoft products by adding features, filling holes, and leveraging the Microsoft platforms.
- Innovative partner products that take advantage of the latest Microsoft technology encourage our customers to upgrade to the latest release.
- Successful start-ups draw attention to the benefits of building on the Microsoft platform, and the value of partnering with Microsoft.
- Small start-ups often grow into big companies that need lots of software.
- Working with start-ups keeps us close to the cutting edge of technology. A good barometer for what is coming in the next 5 years.
- Start-ups are the best source for new partners, and sometimes lead to acquisitions.
WOW. Microsoft is treating startup as SME where they want to sell them their software or it is like catch them young. They can not attract true startups with this approach. By true startups I mean where a bunch of students are thinking to do the next big thing. They don't have a business plan or ivy league management team but just few ideas.
Now how can they catch such young entrepreneurs. Well for that first and foremost they have to come up with bigger goals and not short ones where they want to push their software to them.
They should sit with student entreprenuers and try to help them in arranging things for them. Any such venture lacks three things – Capital, Advice, Network. Help them in sorting these things out.
Microsoft has missed lots of things in technology, if they don't want to miss the next google they will think on these lines.
After all microsoft was also started by students and so was google, apple. And the next Katrina will also come from there.